GloberDesign is a full service provider, we can help our clients apply for a utility patent through the best qualified patent agents and patent attorneys.
What exactly is a Utility Patent?
These are the most frequent types of patents. If you are interested in acquiring patent on a creation or a discovery you would more than likely be given a utility patent. A utility, like the name suggests, means, an invention that provides a useful function and society can find a purpose for it.
Can my invention be patented?
Yes, your invention can be patented assuming that it meet the basic requirements for patentability such as the device, the materials and combination of other elements.
- The device – this is the machine that is programmed to perform a specific task and in turn should produce a desired result. This criterion protects against false and incredible inventions that do not work.
- The Materials – This is using raw or ready materials to create something entirely new. An example is a wooden door, it is made from a tree that has been sculptured and shaped into something new.
- The combinational aspect – composing two or more elements to produce something that is original
Can I patent my idea if it a new way to produce a product that is already created?
- It is possible but the patent you will receive is what they would call a process patent. This type of patent will thwart the efforts of others from using your new method. They are, however, not prevented from using other methods separate and apart from yours to create the exact product. Examples are: a fresh method from making cars or creating a particular chemical composite to be used as pesticide.
Interestingly enough, you can also place a patent on the product and the process providing that the product created is new. You can also prevent others from using your process with a patent, stopping them from producing that product.
- If I improve an existing process can I patent it?
More than likely you can, but the patent you will receive is one on improvement. Other than that, please take into consideration that you do will not have a patent on the original work. You will be prevented from making, using or selling this improvement. It goes the same way for the original patent holder.
If you and the original patent holder wishes to meet and come to an agreement of wanting to produce the improve item or process then a license agree will be needed.